Thursday, July 20, 2017

Green Grass Scones


July's Red Tractor calendar recipe is Green Grass Scones.  Here is the quote of the month, this time from C S Lewis: 


I was a bit dubious when I read the recipe for these scones.  They are savoury scones with cheddar and feta cheeses, rocket (arugula) and cayenne pepper.  However, when I tasted one of these scones fresh out of the oven, slathered with butter, I was sold.  They are delish, and I love the kick from the cayenne.

To make these scones, you will need:

4 cups self-raising flour
(or just add baking powder to plain flour as per the tin)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large handfuls rocket (arugula), roughly chopped
2 cups grated tasty cheese
2-3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
300ml cream
300ml soda water

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and line a large baking tray with baking paper.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a large mixing bowl.  Stir in the rocket and cheeses.

Combine the cream and soda water in a jug.  Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Mix with a knife until just combined.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly, then shape into a rough rectangle about 4cm thick.   

Cut the dough into 20 square pieces, place on the baking tray, brush the tops with a little milk, and bake until puffed and golden (around 15-20 minutes).

To serve, split open the scones and slather with butter. 
 

6 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I love savoury scones and these look like the real thing - though it looks like there are sundried tomatoes in there but I can't see them in the recipe

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm so making these! They'll be perfect for Mr NQN's lunchbox! :D

Cakelaw said...

The orange bits are crispy cheese!

Shaheen said...

Oh savoury scones are so appealing to me right now. I am bookmarking this to make soon, but in place of the rocket, I am thinking of grated courgettes.

Kari said...

I love the name of these :-) They sound like a great savoury scone option.

2paw said...

I love a good savoury scone and I would have chosen these at once, maybe not the rocket because I am not a rocket person, but maybe I should try. They look so yummy and perfect for cold frosty Winter's Elevenses. Or afternoon tea with a faun!!!