Thursday, October 20, 2016

EwE - Apple Brown Betty - An Apple A Day


Peggy has selected this week's Eating with Ellie theme, An Apple a Day.  Initially, I was going to go for a savoury recipe, but most of those were salads, and it was far from salad weather in grey, cold, rainy Melbourne.  Instead, I went for an intriguing recipe for Apple Brown Betty in So Easy.

This recipe was intriguing because the crumble on top of the Brown Betty was made primarily from brown bread crumbs, with crushed walnuts mixed in. 


I really liked this dessert - it was so light, and very tasty.  If you are an apple crumble fan but want to eat more healthily (ie keep off the butter), then this could be the dessert for you.

To see what the others made this week, visit the LYL section of the Eating with Ellie website.

7 comments:

2paw said...

Oh that sounds unusual, but nice. Sometimes we can buy fresh walnuts at the market, and they would be great!! I wish I had apples to make that right now: yum. Oh I have rhubarb!!!

Kari said...

You have reminded me that my Mum made a dish called apple betty when I was little. It looked like this, and was delicious!

Peggy said...

That is what i had chosen to make also but have been sick with virus this week. Hopefully i will be cooking again next week. Glad to hear this was tasty. Wish i had a piece of it!

Margaret said...

OOO! I remember making this and it was so good. I liked it, too.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I've never made a brown betty, can you believe that? I love apple desserts, so good to know of a yummy recipe. Of course, Bill wouldn't like the walnuts...so I may have to stick to crisps ;)

Johanna GGG said...

never had this dish but I always like the sound of the name - good to hear it was a winner

Diane Zwang said...

I love Ellie's recipes. This sounds good.