Wednesday, June 24, 2015

WWDH - Quinoa, Kale, and Salmon Sushi Rolls - sort of



For Wednesday with Donna Hay this week, Glennis chose Quinoa, Kale, and Salmon Sushi Rolls with Wasabi-Tofu Mayonnaise. 

This one pressed all sorts of alarm buttons for me.  I like sushi, but I can't eat quinoa (it strongly disagrees with me) and I do not like kale.  Accordingly, I subbed the quinoa for wholemeal couscous and the kale for baby spinach.  I used the rest of the ingredients in the filling - thinly sliced salmon, pickled ginger and avocado.

I also skipped the mayo - wasabi is not one of my favourite things - and used sushi soy sauce instead to dip the rolls.

In the end, I quite liked my creation, although it strayed from Donna's recipe.

To see what the others thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the website.

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigellah said...

What an interesting interpretation of sushi! I think I'd really like it (yours and the original one) :D

Pam said...

Thank goodness you did the subs! I agree with you and would've done the same! Have a good rest of the week!

Hotly Spiced said...

What a shame you can't eat quinoa! I love it but couscous is a great substitute. Your sushi looks perfect for lunch xx

Kari said...

I'd have made this with the quinoa and kale and something else for the salmon, so it's an adaptable kind of idea :D Your rolls look great though!

Chaya said...

I love your changes and I am guessing it is better. I have the same preferences as you except I can tolerate quinoa.

Kayte said...

Well yours does look like you had a nice lunch of it all. I got ill from sushi a couple of weeks back and I just am not able to even hardly type the word without my stomach doing a nose dive so I did not make this one. I might never make this one actually. I think I am letting go of making something just for making something's sake and then not eating it because I don't like it. I was toying around with making a few subs for it so maybe I will do that and title it as you did as that was clever!! :-) In the meantime, Sushi R Not Us! :-) (Do you have that saying in Australia?)