Sunday, January 26, 2014

Vanilla Slices for Australia Day



Happy Australia Day!  To celebrate today, I have made an Aussie classic - Vanilla Slices.  The recipe that I used is from a classic Aussie bakery - the More Secrets of the Beechworth Bakery cookbook.   Their vanilla slices are highly regarded - for a review, check out the Vanilla Slice Blog, or just search for them online.

As the recipe has not been published elsewhere, I am not going to share it here either, given that this is one of the Beechworth Bakery's signature bakes.  However, I will tell you that this vanilla slice is made using puff pastry top and bottom, with a custard made from cream and eggs and lots and lots of cornflour and custard powder to give it a nice yellow colour and a firm set.  I chose to make the optional passionfruit icing rather than plain pink icing - who wouldn't?

As an added extra for Australia Day, here is a picture of a lovely native parrot eating see from a bird feeder in my mother's backyard:

 
I realise that the Kiwis hate these invaders to their shores with a passion, but we appreciate them here.  They are so pretty, although they are very bossy and very noisy.
 
Wishing all Aussies, wherever they may be, a wonderful and relaxing Australia Day.

13 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

Happy Australia Day Cakelaw - love your vanilla slice - I would choose the passionfruit icing too

yummychunklet said...

Happy Australia Day!

Kari said...

I'd forgotten all about vanilla slices! I don't think I've seen one about for ages, and eaten one for even longer. Thanks for reminding me - they were a childhood favourite :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

OMG I adore vanilla slices and I really want to make one but I'm scared of not being able to stop eating them. Does that even make sense? :P

Mardi Michels said...

LOVE Vanilla Slice - Happy Australia Gaye!

The Caked Crusader said...

Happy Australia day to you! Love your vanilla slice and am jealous that you get wild parrots in your garden!

Mary said...

Oh how lovely! Both the vanilla slice and the parrot! Happy Australia Day!

Cakelaw said...

I understand completely!

Unknown said...

Yummy. What a nice looking treat to celebrate Australia day.

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Australia Day, Cakelaw. I can't believe I almost missed it. I was actually expecting Lamingtons for dessert but am pleasantly pleased to see you baked Vanilla slices and honored the "secret."

I know I adore Lamingtons, but have never heard of these. Oh how I wish I could just have a nibble. I'm saving this post for next year. Who knows, perhaps the recipe will be "public" by then, lol...

I love that you have visits from Parrots. That is just so cool. Thank you so much for sharing, Cakelaw. I hope you had a wonderful day...

Cakelaw said...

Thanks!

Cakelaw said...

LOL - you never know. I hope you do get to try a vanilla slice some day.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Mary!