Friday, July 27, 2012

Daring Bakers - Crazy for Crackers



Our July 2012 Daring Bakers’ Host was Dana McFarland and she challenged us to make homemade crackers! Dana showed us some techniques for making crackers and encouraged to use our creativity to make each cracker our own by using ingredients we love.

Two different crackers recipes had to be prepared using two different methods of forming.

I chose the Health Crackers pictured at the top of this post, rolled by hand, and the Cheddar, Thyme and Walnut Crackers pictured below, made via the "icebox" cookie method (roll and slice):

Both recipes were supplied by our host.  My favourite was the Health Crackers - they were crispy and salty without being overwhelming.  They were also easy to make.  For the cheddar crackers, I used a crumbly cheddar, Cracker Barrel Aged Vintage, and I am wondering if this was why I ended up with tasty but crumbly cookies.

To see what the other Daring Bakers  came up with this month, visit the slide show at the Daring Kitchen website.

12 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

I am sad that I couldn't work this month's DB into my schedule. Seeing every one's cracker pictures is making me feel very snacky :-)

Blond Duck said...

I'm just going to buy them! :)

Gloria Baker said...

Love them Cake law!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I am crazy about crackers-I think I'm addicted to the crunch in them! :D These look great! I wish I had time to do these but I already made some crackers earlier this month (and I couldn't stop eating them) so I quit while I was ahead ;)

Kayte said...

These look fun and delicious. I don't make crackers nearly often enough. I'm not sure why that is as they aren't that difficult usually. I need to change that. Yours look wonderful.

Jenni said...

Great job! Both crackers look delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Great looking crackers!

Angie's Recipes said...

Love crackers! Both are all very delicious.

Kathy said...

Wonderful looking crackers…both sound delicious! I am partial to the Health Crackers…they sound like my kind of cracker!

Unknown said...

Mmmm! I bet the cheddar crackers would be tasty with Cracker Barrel Aged Vintage! But both crackers look delicious. It's a great idea to make your own. Though they are much more moreish than bought crackers so I think I ate more!

Johanna GGG said...

I love crackers and these both look delicious - though I was surprised to see 3 tbsp of sugar in the healthy ones - do you think that is necessary?

Cakelaw said...

Hi Johanna, I think you could cut down tbe sugar and they'd still be goid.