Thursday, July 28, 2011

Spicy Pumpkin Tea Cake


Recently, I ordered a box of fruit and veg from Aussie Farmer's Direct, just to try it out and see what the service was like.  I was quite happy with the selection that I received, the only drawback being that  it was quite a lot for one person.   

One of the items in my Aussie Farmers fruit and veg box was a butternut pumpkin.  I adore pumpkin of all varieties, but sadly, my poor butternut pumpkin lay neglected at the back of the fridge for a few weeks, and was in a rather sorry state.

I was loathe to throw it out, and was rescued by a recipe posted by fellow Melburnian, Johanna of Gourmet Green Giraffe, who posted a delicious looking Spicy Pumpkin Tea cake recipe.  This cake is one of those great recipes that are fairly healthy and guilt free for a cake, so I happily made this one.  You can find the recipe here



This tea cake was flavoursome and delicious, even without butter or icing on top, and surprisingly moist given the absence of milk.  Much of the moisture comes from the pumpkin itself.  The cake went down like a house on fire at work too, so it must be a good one.

Thanks to Johanna for sharing this family recipe - I will gladly make this again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! What a great way to use up the pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

Always good to hear that a cake is moist even without milk. Great post!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I saw this on Johanna's blog the other day too! :)

Elin said...

I love pumpkin and your spicy pumpkin cake looks great :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I can always eat pumpkin, even in summer!

Lauren Hairston said...

The recipe sounds similar to my grandmother's Pumpkin Bread, which if that's any indication to go by, it must have been delicious. I can't wait for pumpkin season here. I have a couple plants growing, but our summer has been so hot, I don't know how they'll turn out. Fingers crossed!

Elaine said...

I really enjoy pumpkin and I think it is sad that we pretty much only eat it around Thanksgiving and Christmas here in the U.S. I love a good quick bread and know that I am going to be making this as soon as pumpkins become available here. Hmm...I have some canned pumpkin in the pantry, so I just might try it with the canned.

Jennifer said...

I love pumpkin and cannot wait for the fall season to enjoy it again! Your cake looks fantastic!!!!!

Cindy said...

I love pumpkin--in any form.

Johanna GGG said...

glad you enjoyed it - my pumpkin was sadly neglected too but this cake transformed it - it is amazingly moist