Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Salted caramel toffees




Time for another Christmas box post!

At the suggestion of my Pilates instructor, Emilia, I made salted caramel toffees, using
this recipe from Not So Humble Pie.

Mrs Humble's recipe was to make soft caramels; unfortunately, I knew early on that I was going to get hard caramels, so I made sure that I scored the mixture a number of times while it was setting so that I could cut it into squares later.

I had actually wanted soft caramels, so in a fit of pique, I refused to waste my fleur de sel on top of the toffees, and just used ordinary sea salt flakes.

Hard or soft, these are delicious - the sweet and the salt go well together - make them!

10 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Candy kind of scares me, so I find it admirable that you took this on! They look perfectly teeth stickingly scrupmtious. Enjoy!

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious! I may have to buy a candy thermometer to make these this weekend...

Johanna GGG said...

It's terrible when you feel a recipe is not going well and you don't want to use good ingredients because that is a waste but then you feel using substandard ingredients wont make them as good as they could be - but these sound a success despite not being soft - toffee is not something I am good at doing - only used to make it rock hard when I was little!

Finla said...

Wowo one of my fav an dyou made them home.So so delicous it must be.

Flourchild said...

Yum Christmas Caramels! they sound and look great!!

Brenda said...

Yummmmm.....these look awesome!!

adele said...

Mmm. I remember hard toffee being a prized treat at "Little Cake Day" fundraisers in primary school. It was always the first thing to sell out.

Salted hard toffee sounds even better. :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Cakelaw, I tied another recipe and wanted to get hard caramels but got soft caramels. Let me know if you would like the recipe! :P

Anonymous said...

They look nice! I'd like to try making caramels, but haven't attempted it yet.

Ivy said...

Love anything with coarse sea salt, in candies and desserts. I love this explosion of saltiness when eating something sweet.