Friday, November 26, 2010

FFwD - Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flans





They say to save the best 'til last, and so it was this week for French Fridays with Dorie, when I made the last November recipe - Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flans.


These flans are comprised of a pumpkin custard (I used mashed pumpkin that I made myself, canned pumpkin being non-existent here), studded with chunks of gorgonzola (a very smelly blue Italian cheese), and topped with toasted walnuts.

Dorie says that the recipe should make 6 flans, but using my ramekins, like most FFwD members, I only got 4 of them.

I absolutely adored this recipe. The photo in the book looks pretty unappealing, but this dish is actually the opposite. The pumpkin custard is smooth, creamy and rich, and is a perfect autumnal shade of orange. Although I don't like gorgonzola on its own because it is way too sharp for me, that sharpness mellows into melty, salty, tangy pieces of cheese in the flan which add additional flavour and texture. The toasted walnuts on top of the flans add further textural contrast - they become chewy rather than crunchy in the oven, and have a caramelised flavour.


Although you may not think that these look appealing with their "mouldy" cheese:





they are actually little pots of heaven!



I will definitely make these again.

To check out what the other FFwD members made this week, go to the LYL section for this week at the
FFwD website.


22 comments:

Choclette said...

You've done a good sales job on these, they sound well worth making and very yummy.

Honey @ honeyandsoy said...

Hahaha! I can think of a lot of dishes that don't look appetising, but taste the opposite! You've definitely made me curious about these flans... the combination does sound heavenly.

Amanda said...

Actually, these sound just wonderful - especially with the nuts on top!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Actually your flans look quite lovely...glad you enjoyed them.

Elaine Corwin said...

This was one I didn't care for but I've been re-considering making it again. I used my own squash and I think I may not have drained it well enough and I may have used too much cheese. There were some other issues as well and, if I can figure out a way to make only one I'll give it another go.( Just to make sure there was not an operator error involved the first time around.)
Yours looks great! I'm glad it was a hit for you.

Anonymous said...

I so loved these, stinky cheese and all! My sister is in town, and I walked into the kitchen today after Thanksgiving dinner to find my copy of AMFT opened to this page, her not-so-subtle hint that she would like me to make them while she's here.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It sounds delicious! I always thought of flans as sweet but they're not! :)

yummychunklet said...

I'm impressed that you made your own pumpkin puree. And, I love the deep orange color of your custard! Mine were a much lighter color.

Johanna GGG said...

love pumpkin and cheese - am sure the sweetness of pumpkin would go well with stinky cheese - yum

Flourchild said...

I loved this one one too! Yours look yummy! This is a great dish to serve when you have company..something different and easy to make!
I made the S. cake this week..it's a winner too!

Elaine said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed this dish. I was hoping for the same reaction even though the cheese melted down into the flans it didn't impart any flavor. I must have way under seasoned mine. Great job!

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad you enjoyed them! There were definitely split reviews from all the FFWD members.
They look good.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Glad you enjoyed these! I saved my best for last and made the potato gratin. :)

Steph said...

So glad you loved these! I tried hard...didn't quite love them. Might try again. Nice photos.

Judy said...

We enjoyed these flans, but then we like gorgonzola. I would double the amount next time! I made half a recipe, and got 3 flans, so it must depend on the size of the dishes. I also reprised those yummy potatoes!

Conor @ Hold the Beef said...

I can definitely believe these are pots sent from heaven above. I love me some stinky cheese, and pairing it with the pumpkin and some caramelised walnuts sounds totally divine. Just as well you only got 4 ramekins worth, the more in each one the better :)

Lana said...

They look really good and taste heavenly! I am glad you liked them, as my whole family loved them.
I just wish there is more than four ramekins worth!

Anonymous said...

Yours look wonderful. I ended up with six, but I used quite small ramekins. I was, unfortunately, the only one at dinner who liked them.

Unknown said...

Your "little pots of heaven" almost make me want to try making these again! Glad you had so much success!

Anonymous said...

You are making me want to try this recipe! I don't like Gorgonzola either, but perhaps it would be OK in combination with the other ingredients.

Kathy said...

These look lovely and I'm so glad you liked them. So many people liked them, that I will just have to try again!

titanium jewelry said...

They look really good and taste heavenly! I am glad you liked them, as my whole family loved them.