Monday, May 31, 2010

Craig's gluten free, dairy free orange cake


Last Thursday, our work held The Biggest Morning Tea to raise funds for cancer research. To participate in The Biggest Morning Tea, you bring in a plate of food, and make a gold coin donation to feast at the table.

At our city office, they had lovely yellow flowers to set the scene:



For my contribution, I made housemate Craig's gluten free, dairy free orange cake. It is really simple to make, and looks and tastes a treat:


To make this cake, you will need:

2 medium oranges
200g almond meal
1 cup sugar
5 eggs

Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius and grease and line a 9" cake pan.

Pierce the skins of the oranges with a fork, and microwave each one separately on high for 3 minutes each. Top and tail the oranges, then cut them into eighths and remove the pips. Place the oranges into a blender or food processor, and blitz until smooth.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until they are light and fluffy. Add the almond meal and oranges, and stir until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 1 hour or until cooked through when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

Once the cake has cooled, you can slice and eat it as is, or ice with a simple icing made of icing sugar and orange juice (which is what I did). Enjoy!

6 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Wow that seems easy enough that even I could make it! Must print it out and add it to my recipes folder. Thanks!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Great choice for an office morning tea cakelaw! I think that is everyone catered for! :)

natalia said...

Ciao ! This cake really sounds great ! I've lthe last oranges to make it ! I saw the chocolate one : yummy too !

Finla said...

That is a beautiful cake which is birsting with flavour.

Johanna GGG said...

oops that morning tea passed me by - but I would fancy some of that cake

Anonymous said...

Wow, only four ingredients! It looks delicious.