Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TWD - Classic banana bundt cake


This week's
Tuesday with Dorie challenge was a top choice by our host, Mary of The Food Librarian, in the form of Dorie's Classic Banana Bundt Cake.

Now, I never used to be a fan of banana cakes - as a child, mention the words "banana cake" and my heart would sink. Perhaps it was the healthy association, or perhaps I couldn't imagine why anyone would choose banana cake over chocolate cake. Whatever the reason, I am now a fan of banana cake, and this recipe is an exceptional banana cake. It is sturdy, large, moist and absolutely scrumptious, and it serves an army.

When making the cake, I substituted the sour cream for yoghurt, which Dorie suggested in the recipe, primarily because I already had yoghurt in the fridge. Otherwise, I stuck with the recipe 100%. I didn't glaze my cake with the lemon glaze suggested becase, well, I didn't even see it untl I read the TWD forum. I don't think you need it unless you are a real sweet tooth - this cake is simply delicious unglazed.

I was a little scared that my cake was going to bake out of its pan, because even though I used the right size, the pan was nearly full of batter. However, my fears never came to fruition, and I ended up with the burnished bronze beauty of a cake that you see at the top of this post.

This cake was a hit with my colleagues, and one lady even asked for the recipe.

To see what the other Daring Bakers thought of this cake, check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll.

27 comments:

Tammy said...

your cake looks perfect. I loved this too

steph- whisk/spoon said...

this cake was tasty, and yours looks big and beautiful!

Hindy said...

Your cake looks perfect! I'm not surprised someone asked for the recipe. It's a keeper.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love your beautiful, bountiful proud Bundt cake! It looks marvellous Cakelaw! :D And just the ticket for a cup of tea or coffee.

Anonymous said...

Yay! A bundt cake. I'm glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful! I'm glad to hear that your coworkers enjoyed it. I thought this was delicious.

Pamela said...

Gorgeous. It looks like it came right out of the book!

Amanda said...

It looks gorgeous! I love how perfect a bundt cake always looks :) My son insists I make this again!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Your cake is a beauty the problem would have been the first cut !!!

Engineer Baker said...

Just stunning! I love the color on this cake - the dark brown crispy outside, lighter soft inside - so wonderful!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful! Mmmmhhh, with hot chocolate sauce...

Cheers,

Rosa

veron said...

Burnished bronzed beauty is the perfect description. Well done!

chocolatechic said...

Well, seeing as how I have sweet teeth, I made a glaze.

Marthe said...

Your bundt cake looks great!! I wish I could have tried mine....

Could you email me your emailadress so I can send you the invitation for the Gift Exchange via Elfster? My emailadress is available on my blog!

TeaLady said...

It IS a great cake.

Yours looks perfect.

Flourchild said...

Im glad everyone liked it and your sharing the recipe! I loved this recipe!

Lisa said...

Your bundt is absolutely perfect! I would love to join TWD, but it always seems like they're not accepting members at the times I check..lol

margot said...

Beautiful cake, I'm glad it was so enjoyed. I also used the suggested yogurt and thought the cake was delicious.

Kayte said...

Sounds like you conquered you fear of eating banana cake...I am still working on it. Your cake looks absolutely perfect sitting on that lovely cake stand.

Ruby Anne said...

Hi,

I visited your site and found it very interesting. I appreciate the way you talk about food and do the reviews on restaurants. With this, I'd like to give a $10 discount voucher to your site which your visitors could use in their take-away orders placed on Menulog (from 500+ restaurants Australia-wide). All they have to do is just type the voucher code (which I will provide you upon response to this message) at the check out.

Thanks,
Ruby Anne (ruby@menulog.com.au)

Unknown said...

Your cake is indeed a bronze beauty! Great job. Glad it was such a hit!

The Blonde Duck said...

I want to try this!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your cake is really tall! Looks scrumptious naked too! =)

A_and_N said...

Banana is a huge fave of mine.

The Caked Crusader said...

what a stunner! Your cake looks moist and huge! I can just imagine the divine banana taste

Leslie said...

Perfect! It would be great without the glaze, but I went the chocolate chip route, and it you like chocolate, you may want to try it like that next time. I've make this one twice now and it is so delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, it was a goodie.

Hi Steph, I was pleasantly surprised by this cake's taste and size.

Hi Clivia, I will make this again!

Thanks Lorraine - agreed.

Hi Wendy, absolutely!

Jill, I am with you - it was delicious.

Thanks Pamela :)

LOL Amanda - I am with your son on that!

Hi Natalia, the first cut is the depest ;)

Thanks Caitlin.

Oooooh, I like the hot chocolate sauce idea Rosa.

Thanks Veron :)

Good for you Tanya - and what a lovely butterscotch glaze it was too.

Oh no Marthe - you will have to make it again and save some for you.

Thaks TeaLady and I agree - it is a great cake.

I'm with you Fliurchild.

Oh no LisaMichelle - if I see a call for members I will have to try and let you know.

I'm with you on that Margot.

LOL Kayte - if you are going to overcome your fear of banana cake, it will be with this one.


Thanks Ruby.

Hi Tracey, thanks :)

Duckie, you should try it!


Thanks Lori - LOL the visions of the naked cake ;)

Hi A&N, it can become a new favourite of mine in this form :)

Crusader, it was mosit and huge, and I loved it!

Hi Leslie, I am sure that chocolate would only enhance this wonderful cake.