Sunday, August 9, 2009

Nick Malgieri's Sausage Rolls


Last week, our team at work had an international day. We were required to bring along a dish to share from our country of origin. I am Australian, so an obvious choice for me was to make sausage rolls.



Now, I didn't make just any old sausage rolls - I made Nick Malgieri's sausage rolls, based on his experiences at Babka in Melbourne, Australia. This alone hooked me - but the added benefit for me is that I had already made the quick puff pastry recipe forming part of the sausage rolls for a Tuesday with Dorie challenge, so I had a head start.

These sausage rolls were delicious - the meat was flavourful but not overly spicy, and encased in a golden brown puff pastry. The sausage rolls all disappeared, which I think is a good sign :).

When I went back to Nick's site to obtain the link to the sausage roll recipe, it had disappeared, nowhere to be found, but I luckily had a copy of it, which (with my minor tweaks here and there) is as follows:

1 batch quick puff pastry (recipe here)

225g fresh white bread crumbs
2/3 cup milk, scalded
350g pork mince
350g veal mince
2 white onions
1/3 cup mustard
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper


1 beaten egg for egg wash

Roll the puff pastry out to an 18 inch square on as lightly floured surface, and trim the edges if necessary. Slide the rolled pastry onto the back of a Swiss roll pan, cover with cling film and refrigerate while preparing the filling.

Soak the white bread crumbs in the milk until all of the milk is absorbed, then squeeze out the excess milk. Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine well. Stir in the soaked bread crumbs, and season to taste.

Remove the rolled puff pastry from the fridge and onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 3 strips, each 6 inches wide. Brush a half inch strip of egg wash down the length of each strip of pastry on the far right hand side only. Place one third of the sausage mixture in a inch thick roll down the entirety of the left hand side of each pastry strip.

Roll each filled pastry strip like a Swiss roll, starting with the left side, encasing the sausage mixture in the pastry. Roll each sausage cylinder onto a baking tray or Swiss roll pan, seam side down, and cover with cling film before refrigerating for 30 minutes.

When it is time to bake your sausage rolls, preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Remove the sausage rolls from the refrigerator and cut each of the three long rolls into 3 x 6 inch lengths (or 6 x 3 inch lengths for party sausage rolls, like me). Pace the pieces onto a greased baking tray, seam side down, and brush the top of each roll with egg wash. Using a sharp knife, cut 3 half inch slashes diagonally across the top of each sausage roll.

Bake the sausage rolls on the reheated oven for around 3 minutes or until deep golden brown.

Serve immediately with tomato sauce on the side.

10 comments:

adele said...

I've been looking for a decent recipe for sausage rolls - they're rather difficult to explain to Americans. This looks like a good place to start. :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Tehy look wonderful! I love a good sausage roll-it reminds me of childhood birthday parties! I used to sneak slightly warm ones too when the guests had left and my mum had left some in the oven. They were the perfect size to slip up your sleeve and run away with before getting caught :P

Tres Jolie Studios said...

Ha! My partner being the most Aussie person I know would love me forever if I made this for him. I have a feeling this will be my go-to recipe!

Emily said...

Yum! These look terrific. I love Nick Malgieri! He has the best recipes.

veron said...

Yum, anything with sausage is great, and then you add puff pastry ...heaven!

Anonymous said...

There are so many Nick M. recipes I want to try and so little time. These look great!

The Blonde Duck said...

These look great! The ball is tommorow!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Adele, I hope these fit the bill - would love to know what you think.

LOL Lorraine - true!

Hi Megan, I hope you and your partner enjoy this recipe - I thought it was a good one.

Thanks Em - this one is no exception.

Veron, I agree!

Thanks Wendy. The number of book marked recipes that I have is staggering.

Thanks Duckie :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Oooh! These look so delicious! I just know my family would love them.

Cakelaw said...

Susan, I am sure they would - they are delicious!