Thursday, August 27, 2009

Daring Bakers - Dobos Torte



Dobos Torte, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways ...

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

Let me say that I LOVED this month's Daring Baker's challenge. This cake is the type of challenge that I joined the Daring Bakers for, because it is something I would be too scared to attempt without a prod, and which teaches me new things, while looking and tasting just gorgeous. Sure, it was time consuming; sure, there a few points (especially when I was up to scraping my sixth round of sponge into shape and ferrying it to the oven) when I thought, "Why??" But the end result is absolutely devine, and gives me a sense of personal satisfaction and achievement.

The ever so fine layers of sponge interleaved with soft, chocolatey, light-as-a-feather buttecream, and topped precariously by toffee coated cake wedges then finished with hazelnuts, is just a heavenly combination. My "spokes" did not want to stand up at an angle because of the softness of the buttecream (oh, and I had 8 slightly larger and heavier wedges rather than 12 smaller ones), but I don't care - I think they look grand arranged in a segmented circle on top of the cake.

My photos were taken before the cake was chilled, and it held together well, even on slicing.

I think you have the idea that I loved this cake, so without further ado, here are some photos of my experiences.

Here is the sponge batter with the egg whites being folded in:


This is a sponge disc pre-baking after being carefully scraped into shape:



and after baking:



These are the toffee covered cake wedges - I had already cut the cake layer into quarters before I realised that I was never going to get 12 equal bits from there, so I stuck with 8:




Here is the "pancake stack" during construction of the cake:



And this is a slice of the finished product - just look at all of those beautiful layers:



Thanks to Angela and Lorraine for choosing this delightful challenge - I had a blast both making it and eating it.

For more Dobos Torte variations, please check out the
Daring Bakers blogroll.


41 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks really good!

Linda said...

At first sight, the cake just reminded me of a spinning carousel at an amusement park, it looks lovely. This is also the reason why I've joined daring baker's, I wanted to challenge myself and tackle recipes that I would ever dream of making. I think we both joined DBC at the right time =D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I have to give your Dobos a standing ovation! It is gorgeous! And I'm so glad that you liked the challenge! :D

maybelle's mom said...

glad you loved it. good job.

Jennifer said...

Oh WOW! That torte is gorgeous!!! Beautiful job!!!!

Tammy said...

wow! You did an amazing job and put mine to shame! ;0) I have a cake stand the same pattern as your cake in the last photo. Well done!

PS I am collating the rest of your pay ir forward parcel in the weekend. promise to send next week!!!

Anita said...

This really was a great challenge.. very happy with it. You've done a fantastic job! Congrats

Brenda said...

Well done! I think it looks fabulous! I can only imagine how good it really tastes

Deeba PAB said...

Oh fun fun fun. Am so glad you loved the challenge. I found the end a bit fiddly, but the kids love the cake. My caramel was uber sticky!! Your torte looks lovely!!

natalia said...

Ciao !FAntastica ! You've done a super job !

Unknown said...

wow...i love the many many layers!...i can imagine the sense of achievement you felt once you've finished it...well done!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very well done! Your cake looks delicious and I love that caramel glaze!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Well done! Your toffee covered cake wedges came out so good. I failed mine :(

Ria Mathew said...

Well done! :)

Mary said...

Seems very nice !

Emily said...

It's a gorgeous cake! I admire you for all of your hard work.

Julia @ Mélanger said...

I really loved the challenge, too. I agree, what I joined DB for! Great job.

Angela @ A Spoonful of Sugar said...

Your post made me grin from ear to ear! I am SO pleased that you loved the challenge!! Your Dobos looks magnificent and it's making me really, really hungry.

Jacque said...

Awesome! It's always nice when you bake something new and it turns out to be a big hit.

Looks fantastic!

Isabelle Lambert said...

la présentation est superbe ! bravo :)

Laura said...

oooh, cool design with the caramel wedges on top of the cake.Nice job.

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Gorgeous Dobos Torte! Glad you liked it.

Cathy said...

Oh, this looks wonderful, and I am so glad that you loved it so much! When you put that kind of effort into a dessert, you want it to be incredible, and it sounds like this one really was!

giz said...

Lovely torte - always wanted to try this - wish I had more available time.

Anonymous said...

Kudos for making it! I ran out of time this month. It looks delicious.

TeaLady said...

Your dobos came out beautifully.

adele said...

I've heard of this cake - I thought it sounded insane. Glad to know it is doable. :)

ice tea: sugar high said...

I love how your torte looks like a chocolate house. Gorgeous.

abby said...

how wonderful that you loved it! i really enjoyed learning the technique for making thin sponge layers.

isa said...

Your cake looks and sounds delicious!
Love your caramel glaze - I failed mine!

Anonymous said...

The finished cake looks fantastic! The toffee part sounds especially wonderful. I'm glad it was worth the work!

A_and_N said...

MARVELLOUS!

Irene said...

Your cake looks wonderful!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Duckie!

Hi Linda, I love the carousel analogy - perfect! I think this indeed was a good month to be a Daring Baker.

Thanks for hosting us with Angela this month Lorraine - loved this!

Thanks Maybelle's Mom :)

Thanks Jennifer - for once, something I can be proud of.

Hi Tammy, thanks (and thanks ;)).

Thanks Anita - this was a fun challenge.

Thanks Bren - it was sinfully good, so I am glad I took it to work out of temptation's way.

Hi Deeba, glad your kids liked the cake. I liked the buttercream recipe - it was very nice and not one of those greasy ones.

LOL - thanks Natalia!

Thanks Rita - must try and remember that next time I am sweatibng over something like this.

Thanks Rosa :)

Thanks Ellie - there was much sweating and nurse-maiding of those wedges involved, but they came through in the end.

Thanks Ria :)

Hi Mary - it was - a special occasion cake only, but good.

Thanks Em :)

Thanks Julia.

Hi Angela, thanks for being our other hostess with the mostess this mnonth - I really did LOVE this!!!

Hi Jacque, so agreed.

Thanks Isabelle ;)

Hi Laura - they didn't stand to attention like they were supposed to, but I decided to give them some slack as they turned out so nicely for me.

Thanks George

Hi Cathy, this one was incredible - so worth it.

Thanks Giz - believe me, I know what you mean.

Thanks Wendy :)


Hi Margie, thanks

Hi Adele, it is a little insane at times, but just the amount of time - the components (other than the toffee wedges!!) are not too bad to make.

LOL Ice Tea - I like the chocolate house description - very cute.

Thanks Abby - I enjoyed learning that I could make them somewhat even instead of different sizes and widths :)

Thanks Isa :) Sorry to hear your caramel didn't behave itself - sometimes your strongest will and best efforts can't make these pesky things behve.

Thanks Jill :)

Thank you A&N :)

Hi Irene, thanks!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow.....perfect and yum looking torte...

Lisa said...

Wow, your Dobos Torte turned out picture perfect, from the caramel wedges, to the frosting. Love the little frosting topper in the center, it does make you kind of want to spin it, and THEN devour it! :)

Y said...

Great torte! Oh, and I hear ya - I'd never have bothered to try making this cake if not for the Daring Bakers!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Kitchen Flavours - I had fun with this in the end.

LOL Lisa - I love te carousel/little house descriptions, and I think it would be marvellous if it could spin.

Absolutely Y - I need a push to go out of my way like this.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

My boss made us a Dobos cake on a special occasion, so even though a complicated recipe it is well worth the effort:D Great job!!

The Caked Crusader said...

looks amazing - I love the toffee/biscuit topping. Yum

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Val - definitely a special occasion cake, but worth it!

Thanks Crusader - this cake tasted amazing.