Monday, August 24, 2009

Chocolate ginger cupcakes and Melbourne treats



I have just spent a glorious weekend in Melbourne visiting people and doing some jobs (like going to the dentist :(). I made chocolate ginger cupcakes using the Crabapple Bakery Dinosaur Rock Chocolate Cake recipe, with a teaspoon of ginger added and a Buderim ginger bear on top. I then wrapped them all individually in sweet bags from Spotlight, just perfect for sharing:



Unfortunately, I forgot to take them to my friends at dinner! I was so excited that we were ready on time that I forgot to take the cakes. However, I was able to share them with some other friends.


I also bought a piece of my favourite bread pudding from Eugenie French Cake Shop in Commercial Road, Prahran:



It is earthy and substantial - a big slab of brioche pieces interwoven with custard and raisins - it is so substantial that it takes me at least two sittings to finish it. For my $5.50, that is value.


I then popped on over to the Crabapple Bakery at Prahran Market and bought these cute as a button dahlia sugar flowers:





When I finally crawled into the airport, my foodie journey was not over - I found these tequila sunrise chocolates at
The Chocolate Box for my friend Elisa, who loves a vodka sunrise:






I won't even mention the yum cha lunch at Oriental Tea House and drinks at Kazbar on Chapel Street, or the veritable Greek feast at Salona.

All in all, it was a great weekend!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

sounds like you had fun! I had thought I had read somewhere that the crabapple bakery was no longer - please to see I was wrong!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like a fantastic, well rounded weekend full of lots of beautiful food! Love those dahlias! :D

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Tammy, it was lots of fun. Crabapple Bakery did disappear for a while, but luckily for cupcake lovers everywhere, it has risen again.

Thanks Lorraine - I thought they were cute, and I had never seen them before - they are new. (I had tried to get ponies, but there weren't any!)

The Caked Crusader said...

I love those little ginger bears! Wish we had them here!

PS. I won't mention the Ashes.....

Jennifer said...

I love all of your treats, but especially the Dahlia Sugar Flowers, those are just adorable!!!!!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Crusader, the bears are delish - I gobbled the remainder on my flight to Melbourne. I will staunchly pretend I didn't hear the last bit - la, la, la, la, la ...

Hi Jennifer, Crabapple does some really gorgeous sugar decorations, especially for children (hence my desire for the ponies that they used to have, even though I am not a child :) ).

natalia said...

Ciao ! i've never visited Australia but when I will I'll ask you for tips !!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend! The ginger bear is so cute; what a nice way to top a ginger treat.